The field of Geotechnical Engineering, as a partial preparation for the degree of Doctor of Philosophy in Civil Engineering, covers the subject matter decribed below. Although the requirement is defined in terms of a list of subjects and/or recommended reading, emphasis is placed on an understanding of the fundamentals of the areas studied, and on the ability to correlate and apply the acquired knowledge.
- Lambe, T.W. and R.V. Whitman, Soil Mechanics, Si Version, Wiley, 1979.
- Terzaghi,K., R.B. Peck, and G. Mesri, Soil Mechanics in Engineering Practice, 2nd Edition, Wiley, 1996.
- Taylor, D.W., Fundamentals of Soil Mechanics, Wiley, 1948.
- Terzaghi, K., Theoretical Soil Mechanics, Wiley, 1943.
- Foundations, Prentice Hall, 1970.
- Tschebotarioff, G.P., Foundations, Retaining and Earth Structures, 2nd Edition, McGraw Hill, 1973.
- Mitchell, J.K., Fundamentals of Soil Behavior, Wiley, 2nd Edition, 1993.
- Fang, H.-Y., Foundation Engineering Handbook, Van Nostrand Reinhold, 2nd Edition, 1990.
- Bowles, J.E., Foundation Analysis and Design, McGraw Hill, 1977.
- Holtz, R.D. and W.D. Kovacs, An Introduction to Geotechnical Engineering, Prentice Hall, 1981.
- Wiegel, R.L., Earthquake Engineering, Prentice Hall, 1970.
- Liu, C. & Evett, J.B., Soils and Foundations, Prentice-Hall, 4th Edition, 1998.
- Prakash, S. & H. D. Sharma, Pile Foundations in Engineering Practice, Wiley, 1990.
- Tomlinson , M.J., Pile Design and Construction Practice, 4th Edition, Chapman-Hallm 1994.
- Coduto, D.P., Foundation Design, Principles and Practice, Prentice-Hall, 1994.
- Kramer, S.L., Geotechnical Earthquake Engineering, Prentice-Hall, 1996
- Poulos, H.G., & E. H. Davis, Pile Foundation Analysis and Design, John Wiley & Sons, 1980.
- Ishihara, K., Soil Behavior in Earthquake Geotechnics, Clarendon Press, Oxford, 1996.
- Bardet, J.P., Experimental Soil Mechanics, Prentice-Hall, 1997.
- Koerner, R.M., Designing with Geosynthetics, Prentice-Hall, 3rd Edition, 1994.
Journals and Proceedings
The list below contains journals that included topics of interest to students in Geotechnical Engineering.
- ASCE Journal of Geotechnical and Geoenvironmental Engineering, ASCE.
- Geotechnique, England
- Canadian Geotechnical Journal
- Soils and Foundations, Japan
- Geotechnical Testing Journal, ASTM
- International Journal for Numerical and Analytical Methods in Geomechanics
- Computers and Geotechnics
- International Journal of Earthquake Engineering and Soil Dynamics
- Earthquake Spectra, EERI
- Bulletin of the Seismological Society of America, SSA
- Proceedings of the International Conferences on Soil Mechanics and Foundation Engineering
- Proceedings of the Panamerican Conferences on Soil Mechanics and Foundation Engineering
- Proceedings of the European Conferences on Soil Mechanics and Foundation Engineering
- Proceedings of the ASCE Geotechnical Engineering Division Specialty Conferences
- Proceedings of the International Conferences on Numerical Methods in Geomechanics
- Special Technical Publications, ASTM